Friday, April 25, 2014

Greetings Earthlings!

Greetings fellow Earthlings!

Tuesday was Earth Day and Chris and I decided to celebrate in style by "driving through the mountains in a hybrid car." ( That's a direct quote from Chris by the way.)

But reality is that Chris and I drove to Reno to have dinner.

It was Tuesday and it was 3:00 and it was a beautiful day here in Sac. I really wanted to take our exercising outside so we could see some Earth. Chris decided we should go to Folsom Lake instead of our usual route so we got in our car and headed east on I-80. As our exit approached he convo went something like this:

C: (reading road sign) Reno 126 miles
A: We could be at the Hash House a Go Go by dinner.
C: Yeah but we are not really dressed for Reno.
A: Ummm... it's Reno. You're kidding right?

He had a point. I was wearing a tank top, some stretchy pants, and my running shoes without a stitch of make up on. My hair was in a  Idontwannadomyhairsoiwilljustbraidit disaster. Chris was wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and running shoes. But he was talking to the girl who wore gold sequined gift shop slippers the entire time we were in Reno last time. (That's a whole other story.) But that was good enough because we cruised right past our exit and headed to Reno!

The drive through the Sierras is always beautiful but it's very dry right now. We are having a horrible drought and the snow levels are practically non existent. I wanted to stop and get some pictures and Chris kept exclaiming that it was 36 degrees and I am a crazy woman. A crazy woman who won in the end.


    

Also, these pictures are the first full body ones I have had taken in a while and I was surprised to see the changes in my landscape. But more of that in the next blog.


At this point Chris was rooting around in his car for extra layers. He found some pajama pants. Weird, right?

We also stopped at a vista point overlooking Donner Lake where we saw some beautiful Earth. The above pictures are unedited but I did use some Picasa filters on the ones below.



Not too shabby Earth. Not too shabby at all.

We arrived in Reno at 5:00! Really it's not awful, some people commute that long to the Bay for work everyday. We went to the Sierra Trading Post store right away. That store is awesome for deals on outdoor wear and gear. I clearly needed a shirt. I found a cheap zip up but we also found one of the most horrid items of clothing ever produced. 


Size 42 French Fry Shorts? Is this necessary? 

You may be wondering why would drive so far to eat at a place called Hash House a Go Go. The hash house is one of the places we LOVED when we lived in Las Vegas. They sell "Twisted Farm Food" which is code for " Giant Fucking Portions" and the food goes beyond gimmicky, it's actually delicious. I know I have included them in the blog before and they have been featured on the Food Network. They have location at Harrah's in Reno and I'm so glad it's not any closer.


Buttermilk Biscuits with Honey Butter. As I am trying to be "good" I brought mine home and had it for breakfast the next day.


 Chris almost always gets the same thing. The sage fried chicken. This is the Sage Fried Chicken Benedict. I love there aggressive use of Rosemary as a garnish. Plus they also deep fry angel hair pasta as a garnish. It makes a very lovely plating.



I decided to try something new, The Kokomo Sandwich. I have no idea why it is named that. It was a giant portion on meatloaf, tomato paste,  and mozzarella cheese on white bread with a side of pan fried mashed potatoes topped with slices of bacon and grilled cheddar cheese. I died just looking at it. I finished eating it on Thursday and I didn't even eat the bread!


We really weren't prepared for the drive home though. We left at 7:45 and it was snowing when we got to about 5,000 feet. Several of you received texts stating our last known whereabouts in case something happened. The snow wasn't heavy but it was blowing sideways, the roads were icy and we were in the little car. That car isn't built for any kind of adverse driving condition but we obviously made it. We were home at 10pm. 

This more proof that the best thing about Sacramento is that it is 2 hours from everywhere you want to go. Including home if you get on an airplane. Summer is approaching and I hope some of you will consider a visit down here. We could go to the Hash House! But obviously the countryside is beautiful too. This was a successful Earth Day adventure.

Next blog will be about the MS Walk and my 5 week results from Kaia. I also have a 10 day road trip home in May for Mother's Day. I promise I will have more adventure blogs and less exercise blogs in the future :)

-Angelina

No comments:

Post a Comment